Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row
How to perform exercise
- With a dumbbell in each hand (palms facing your torso), bend your knees slightly and bring your torso forward by bending at the waist; as you bend make sure to keep your back straight until it is almost parallel to the floor. Tip: Make sure that you keep the head up. The weights should hang directly in front of you as your arms hang perpendicular to the floor and your torso. This is your starting position.
- While keeping the torso stationary, lift the dumbbells to your side (as you breathe out), keeping the elbows close to the body (do not exert any force with the forearm other than holding the weights). On the top contracted position, squeeze the back muscles and hold for a second.
- Slowly lower the weight again to the starting position as you inhale.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- This exercise is not recommended for people with back problems. A Low Pulley Row is a better choice for people with back issues.
- Ensure perfect form and never round the back as this can promote back injury.
- Be cautious with the weight used; in case of doubt, use less weight rather than more.
Variations: You can perform the same exercise using a low pulley instead with a v-bar or with a barbell. This exercise can also be performed with supinated or neutral grips.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Middle Back, Traps, and auxiliary muscles: Shoulders, Biceps, Lats
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Bent Over Two-Dumbbell Row » are among the best rated by athletes.