Machine Shoulder (Military) Press
How to perform exercise
- Sit down on the Shoulder Press Machine and select the weight.
- Grab the handles to your sides as you keep the elbows bent and in line with your torso. This will be your starting position.
- Now lift the handles as you exhale and you extend the arms fully. At the top of the position make sure that you hold the contraction for a second.
- Lower the handles slowly back to the starting position as you inhale.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: You can use free weights (barbells and dumbbells) to perform this exercise on a military bench.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Shoulders, and auxiliary muscles: Shoulders
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Machine Shoulder (Military) Press » are among the best rated by athletes.