Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows
How to perform exercise
- Stand erect while holding a barbell with a supinated grip (palms facing up).
- Bend your knees slightly and bring your torso forward, by bending at the waist, while keeping the back straight until it is almost parallel to the floor. Tip: Make sure that you keep the head up. The barbell should hang directly in front of you as your arms hang perpendicular to the floor and your torso. This is your starting position.
- While keeping the torso stationary, lift the barbell as you breathe out, keeping the elbows close to the body and not doing any force with the forearm other than holding the weights. On the top contracted position, squeeze the back muscles and hold for a second.
- Slowly lower the weight again to the starting position as you inhale.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- This exercise is not recommended for people with back problems. A Low Pulley Row is a better choice for people with back issues.
- Also, just like with the bent knee dead-lift, if you have a healthy back, ensure perfect form and never slouch the back forward as this can cause back injury.
- Be cautious as well with the weight used; in case of doubt, use less weight rather than more.
Variations: You can perform the same exercise using a pronated (palms facing out) grip or using dumbbells.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Middle Back, Traps, and auxiliary muscles: Shoulders, Biceps, Lats
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Reverse Grip Bent-Over Rows» are among the best rated by athletes.