Weighted Ball Side Bend
How to perform exercise
- To begin, lie down on an exercise ball with your left side of the torso (waist, hips and shoulder) pressed against the ball.
- Your feet should be on the floor while your legs are crossed and hanging from the ball. Hold a weighted plate with your right hand directly to the right side of your head. Tip: Make sure the smooth side of the plate is resting against your head.
- Place your left arm across your torso so that your palm is on your obliques. There should be a right angle between your left forearm and upper arm. This is the starting position.
- Raise the side of your torso up by laterally flexing at the waist while exhaling.
- Hold the contraction for a second and slowly lower yourself back down to the starting position while inhaling.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
- Switch sides and repeat the exercise.
Caution: If new to this exercise it is best to perform it without any weights until you develop good form.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Abs, and auxiliary muscles:
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.