6 minutes for reading 345 views
Lats (look at the image)
Forearm, Biceps, Traps
How to perform exercise
- Grab the pull-up bar with the palms facing your torso and a grip closer than the shoulder width.
- As you have both arms extended in front of you holding the bar at the chosen grip width, keep your torso as straight as possible while creating a curvature on your lower back and sticking your chest out. This is your starting position. Tip: Keeping the torso as straight as possible maximizes biceps stimulation while minimizing back involvement.
- As you breathe out, pull your torso up until your head is around the level of the pull-up bar. Concentrate on using the biceps muscles in order to perform the movement. Keep the elbows close to your body. Tip: The upper torso should remain stationary as it moves through space and only the arms should move. The forearms should do no other work other than hold the bar.
- After a second of squeezing the biceps in the contracted position, slowly lower your torso back to the starting position; when your arms are fully extended. Breathe in as you perform this portion of the movement.
- Repeat this motion for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
- If you are new at this exercise and do not have the strength to perform it, use a pull-up assist machine if available. These machines use weight to help you push your bodyweight.
- Otherwise, a spotter holding your legs can help.
- On the other hand, more advanced lifters can add weight to the exercise by using a weight belt that allows the addition of weighted plates.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Lats, and auxiliary muscles: Forearm, Biceps, Traps
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Chin-Up » are among the best rated by athletes.
You can try replacing the exercise «Chin-Up » with one of these exercises. The possibility of replacement is determined on the basis of the muscle groups involved.
Chin-Up Author: AtletIQ: on Chin-Up — The benefits of exercise, how to properly perform and how many sets to do.. Rating: 5
Workouts with «Chin-Up »