Machine Bench Press
How to perform exercise
- Sit down on the Chest Press Machine and select the weight.
- Step on the lever provided by the machine since it will help you to bring the handles forward so that you can grab the handles and fully extend the arms.
- Grab the handles with a palms-down grip and lift your elbows so that your upper arms are parallel to the floor to the sides of your torso. Tip: Your forearms will be pointing forward since you are grabbing the handles. Once you bring the handles forward and extend the arms you will be at the starting position.
- Now bring the handles back towards you as you breathe in.
- Push the handles away from you as you flex your pecs and you breathe out. Hold the contraction for a second before going back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of reps.
- When finished step on the lever again and slowly get the handles back to their original place.
Variations: You can use free weights (barbells and dumbbells) to perform this exercise on a regular bench. Alternatively, you can use the pulley machine as well.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Chest, and auxiliary muscles: Triceps, Shoulders
Weight and number of repetitions
The number of repetitions and working weight depends on your goal and other parameters. But the general recommendations can be presented in the form of a table:
|Goal||Sets||Reps||Weight, %1Rm||Rest between sets|
|Strength||2-6||1-5 reps||100-85%||3-7 min|
|Mass gain||3-6||6-12 reps||85-60%||1-4 min|
|Fat burning||2-4||13-25 reps||60-40%||1-2 min|
In order to make the training more diverse and effective you have to change the number of repetitions and the working weight. It is important not to go beyond certain values!
*Specify the weight and the maximum number of repetitions that you can perform with this weight.
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Machine Bench Press» are among the best rated by athletes.