Pushups (Close and Wide Hand Positions)
How to perform exercise
- Lie on the floor face down and body straight with your toes on the floor and the hands wider than shoulder width for a wide hand position and closer than shoulder width for a close hand position. Make sure you are holding your torso up at arms length.
- Lower yourself until your chest almost touches the floor as you inhale.
- Using your pectoral muscles, press your upper body back up to the starting position and squeeze your chest. Breathe out as you perform this step.
- After a second pause at the contracted position, repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions.
- If you are new at this exercise and do not have the strength to perform it, you can either bend your legs at the knees to take off resistance or perform the exercise against the wall instead of the floor.
- For the most advanced lifters, you can place your feet at a high surface such as a bench in order to increase the resistance and to target the upper chest more.
Photos of the correct technique
What muscles work?
If the correct technique is followed, the following muscle groups work: Triceps, Chest, and auxiliary muscles: Chest, Shoulders
Best workout routines with this exercise
These programs with this exercise «Pushups (Close and Wide Hand Positions) » are among the best rated by athletes.